Sunday, September 25, 2011

Heidelberg

We arrived to Heidelberg! And for those who don't know, Heidelberg makes us smile because a small town back home where some of Jeff's friends are from goes by the same name. We've actually noticed a lot of towns here that are the same as home... Waterloo, Hanover, Neustadt, Heidelberg, Baden, Hamburg and others. We must have gotten a lot of our town names from Germany! Neat.

Our train ride was fast and easy, even with a layover and we found our hostel very quickly. We arrived too early though so we left our luggage and went for a walk. Poor Jeff is still hurting and we're running on a couple of nights of terrible sleep. Hopefully Jeff is feeling better by tomorrow as there is a lot we'd like to do here.

It's about 3:30pm here and I'm in the hostel lounge listening to a couple of men sing at the top of their lungs outside in the courtyard, three floors down, which is carrying very far (and although was slightly amusing at first is becoming more and more annoying). Oh - a brief momnt of silence!

Jeff is hopefully having a nap upstairs. Our hostel is nice; it's big! There are lots of rooms, many dorm style but Jeff and I have our own, which we like.

I'm going to do a little research regarding what we're going to do after Oktoberfest and then maybe get some gelato - it's pretty hot outside!

Chat soon,

Me xo

Okay, really soon. I went for a leisurely stroll on my own with a two-scoop cone of gelato (so delicious); it took about an hour to tour around and I took my time. I found where we can do laundry, although it's kind of far; You have to pay to have it washed and dried (€7) and pay an extra €1 if you want it folded. It's not cheap but it saves us from sitting around and waiting... And come to think of it, I think it's our only option.

I found a McDonalds on my walk (of course, they're everywhere) but I also found a number of porches too, not something you see all the time back home. Jeff and I've seen a Lambourgini too. Pretty spiffy cars if you ask me. But my toyota corolla is classic... :)

I enjoyed the architecture along my walk and the peacefulness of being out and about with no pressure to be anywhere.

Jeff's just awake now (5pm) so we'll see how he's feeling and take it easy tonight. I'm not sure if he'll be up for eating much for dinner and seeing as it's Sunday our options are pretty limited as most places are closed. Tomorrow morning the supermarket downstairs will open up and we'll be able to pick up some belly-friendly items.

At least the man outside has stopped yell-singing... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment