Friday, September 9, 2011

Beach day!

What an awesome day today!!

We got up around 8:30am or so after a restful sleep; It was pretty quiet after the kids outside went to bed! I read for awhile on my ereader which was great, but for some reason today it isn't working and we can't quite figure out why; our best bet is the battery but I don't think the charger thing I have will work (I've never charged it from a wall before, just my mac.... Urgh...). That has been the only downside of the day...

Angela (our landlady) made us breakfast which consisted of an egg omlette, fresh squeezed orange juice (so yummy!) and two pieces of toast each with homemade jam! It was quite delicious. She has been super accomodating and very friendly with us, and we're managing with the language barrier.

Afterward, Jeff and I found the closest supermarket and bought some groceries this morning! We picked up some bananas, yop yogurt, chips and juice boxes. The grocery store is quite similar to ours except they sell beer and liquor in the store with everything else... And their price tags are electronic (how handy for price changes!).

Then we unloaded at our place and prepared to head to the beach. Now, one of the main reasons I wanted to come to Portugal, and Lagos in particular, was for the beaches... Specifically the picture on my first post of Lagos. It took some reading (map and travel book) to locate all the beaches. The main one that is 7km long and is the closest is called "Meia Praia" (praia = beach). We figured we'd go to that one eventually so I wanted to pick another one.... Preferrably the one that I have had on my screen saver for months and months (but I didn't know what is was called... Makes it hard to find! Guess what... That's exactly where we ended up!! So check out my first post for a picture - "Eurotrip 2011"). Our europe book said that Praia Donna Ana was the most picturesque, so of course that's where I wanted to go today, aside from the fact that it is also said to be crowded because it isn't very big and it also happened to be the farthest from us. We decided we'd try the trek regardless.

We were not disappointed, even after we thought that it may be too far to walk to... It was the most gorgeous place I think I have ever seen. We were surrounded by huge cliffs all around us (the grotto?) and the water, although cold and salty, was so much fun! The beach took my breath away the instant I saw it and I was nearly giddy with excitement! We climbed down a ton of stairs (surprised?) and Jeff suggested we walk to the end of the beach, hoping we would find some space for ourselves. What we found was well worth the hot walk along the sand; it was a small cove away from the main beach with a few small groups of people. We carved out some room for ourselves to settle for the afternoon. It was super hot so we were in and out of the water lots. The waves were huge and the undertow was a little strong but the waves kept throwing us back to shore; we weren't 20 feet from dry land at any given time (we were staying safe!).

We lazed around in this little piece of paradise all afternoon, moving from the shade to the sun as it moved. By 4pm we decided we were salty enough and should get something to eat. We walked back to town for a chocolate milkshake, water and croissant (split for 2) as our late lunch as we'll be getting dinner in a few hours.

We're now showered and having a drink in our room, listening to some music and commenting on our day... Jeff "Did you notice how many people had Ray Bans?" lol

We'll head out to dinner in awhile but for now, more relaxing in our cool room :)

2 comments:

  1. I am sooo enjoying your blogs :)...and I am so happy for you
    <3 lots of love
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for all the next instalments..... You two are having so much fun so far and think of the exercise you get walking up all those hills!

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete