Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Backpacks!


These are the two bags we'll be taking with us for 2 months. Each bag has a smaller backpack ('day pack') that zips onto the main one. Mine has come in handy more times than I can count. It also doubles as carry-on luggage so we can have essential items on the plane in case our bags don't make it (let's hope that doesn't happen).

Here is my first attempt at packing... not a serious pack yet as Jeff and I may do that together later this week once he's finished work. Note the rolling of the clothes; an excellent technique to use space more efficiently AND to reduce wrinkles. You'll also notice that all of my clothes are in the same colour family so that no matter what I wear, I'll match :) And in case you're wondering what the blue thing is on top, it's my knee brace.

It doesn't look like much now, but when it's full and ready to go, it'll be a monster of a backpack! But I love it. This backpack has lived on several continents with me so I'm very attached to it. This is just one more adventure we get to take together!

Now, you may be thinking, "Why on Earth is she talking like that about a backpack? It's only a backpack!", let me tell you, when you're in a foreign country and everything around you is radically unfamiliar, potentially scary and more than a little overwhelming at times, your backpack begins to feel like home. Your familiar items are there, your source of comfort comes from there, and you know you'll be taking it wherever you go. It may sound silly but you do become attached to it because it's seen the world right along with you! :) I admittedly get a little twinge of excitement every time I look at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment