Sunday, October 9, 2011

Why did I do that?

For those of you who don't know, I'm not a big fan of puppets... I think they're creepy. What if they come alive? Pinnochio was cute when he turned into a real boy but what if he had been evil? I know, cartoon, but still. Anyway, there seem to be a lot of puppets and marionette dolls here and I don't like it. There is even a puppet museum! Now, while I was out wandering on my own for a bit this afternoon I came across a wax museum and thought it may be entertaining to wander through. What I realized about 2 seconds after entering the exhibit is that wax figures are like giant life-size puppets!! This was not a good idea. I freaked myself out on more than one occasion as I walked through, alone, listening to eeire music play in dark rooms with GIANT PUPPETS! Needless to say, I was uncomfortable and at one point had to take a picture with my flash just to see if I was supposed to go into a room because it was so dark, but I could see something (a female witch or something dressed in white with an owl that faded in and out). I was supposed to look but not go in, so when I hit the partition rope with my legs I nearly screamed.

Once the scarier wax figures and dark scenes were over and it got brighter, I was less afraid, until I entered a room with a dozen or so figures. My imagintion was getting the better of me as I imagined Albert Einstein and the pope coming alive to get me... But then I came across Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, Louis Armstrong and the best of all, Harry Potter (!!!!!) and I felt better. I'm glad it ended on a high note or those few euros it cost me would nearly have been a waste! Note to self, don't go into those types od things alone. No wonder I could never go into a Haunted House as a kid.

After that slightly terrifying experience, I meandered through the streets of Cesky Krumlov at a very leisurely pace. I took in the adorable views, the many tourist groups swarming the streets, ate a delicious traditional Czech bread – cylinder bread roasted then coated in sugar and cinnamon (yum) and window shopped. I was surprised how busy the town was for a Sunday afternoon as most places we've gone, Sundays are pretty quiet days.

Jeff and I then went to the castle and wandered around. We got to see bears! There were two of them outside the castle walls, in a "bear moat". Long story short, the "Cesky Krumlov Český Castle is decorated with ostentatious coats-of-arms of the lords of Rosenberg bearing the sign of the five-petalled rose in a silver field and bears as the shield-bearers. The Rosenberg family legend held that the Rosenbergs were related to the noble Italian family of Orsini. "Orsa" means 'she-bear' in Italian, and it is this animal motif which especially the last Rosenberg rulers used to demonstrate their relationship with the house of Orsini. They used the motif in their coat-of-arms, in which two bears are shown as shield-bearers. This alleged relationship was to support the antiquity of the house of Rosenberg, leading its roots to as early as ancient Rome." (http://www.castle.ckrumlov.cz/docs/en/zamek_1nadvori_mhisto.xml). So, they keep bears at the castle! I didn't know that until I got back to our room and googled it! We sure were surprised to see them.

I climbed to the top of the tower (that is decorted with pinks and turquoise) for some spectacular views of the town and a birds-eye view into the bear moat :) Needless to say, I took lots of pictures of both.

I'm not sure what the plan for dinner will be as Jeff's got a bit of a stomachache so I may get something on my own. No plain, boiled noodles for me thank you! :). I'm definitely missing turkey dinner and all the fixings at home.

I'm going to do some research about Venice so we can stay a couple of days or so without going broke... :) It'll be herre before we know it.

Until next time,

Amanda

***

Went out to find dinner and enjoyed garlic bread and cheese soup, fried cheese and a beer... A dinner of champions! I am now garlicy and cheesey... It was delicious though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment