Sunday, October 16, 2011

Swarovski

After breakfast this morning we headed off to the tourist information office to pick up an Innsbruck card (unlimited public transport, entries into museums, etc. for a selected period of time). We should have bought one yesterday but because we didn't have a solid plan as to what all we wanted to see here we opted out. Oh well!

Our Innsbruck card got us onto a shuttle that took us out of town to the kristallwelten, or swarovski's crystal world. It took about 25 minutes to get there so we got to see more of Innsbruck on the way and enjoy the spectacular view on another blue sky day. I really wasn't sure what to expect from the exhibit but thought it might be something interesting to do. Maybe would learn about crystals and see some interesting pieces made from them! Let me tell you, the whole thing was beyond strange. We are not much for abstract (and frankly, very weird) art, Jeff moreso than me, and it was so strange. I don't really know what to make of it all. Essentially, there were a number of draped rooms in a dark building that each featured some use of the crystal in art and a lot of it was beyond strange. Jeff and I didn't understand it and some of it has us feeling a little creeped out. It was different to say the least and something we, unfortunately, won't forget for some time... lol I can't even describe it, you'll have to see some pictures. I took so many because I thought it was so, interesting... At one point Jeff said, "You take more pictures than people that like this stuff" ;)

It took about an hour and a half and then we caught the shuttle back to town. We stopped for lunch at one of the very few places open (Sundays!) and had soup. We missed the sightseeing bus we had planned on taking because lunch ran late but we caught the next one. Jeff wanted to go to Olympiaworld, where the olympics have been held twice, once in the 60s and the other in 1977 (I think). Jeff said that in less than 100 days they are hosting the first Youth Winter Olympics there. I don't know what that means but sounds interesting!

Olympiaworld was disappointing as we really couldn't go in to see anything. It all looked closed or unavailable. We had hoped to see an ice rink or something! We ended up watching a little bit of a soccer game that was taking place outside before hopping back on the bus to take us home. The bus was neat at least, as you put headphones on and listened to someone talk about the different stops along the way.

Once we got off the bus we checked out St. Jacob's church and then headed home. Our bodies ached in all sorts of places after yesterday's hike; Jeff's calves hurt and my butt, legs and especially my left knee hurt (I wore my brace all day today, Mom!).

We went for a swim and I hit the sauna to relax my muscles. Then we dressed and headed out for dinner. We went to a fancy restaurant and we were thoroughly underdressed... lol. We had authentic veal weiner schnitzel and a salad (vegetables!!!). It was delicious and cost us an arm and a leg with our drinks, Jeff had a small beer and I had some lemonade that was absolutely nothing like lemonade but still good (like a fizzy pop).

We then decided we'd see if we could find the hostel we'll be heading to at noon tomorrow when we check out because we knew it was close to where we are now. About half way across a small bridge I noticed it and laughed hard at the fact that facing one way I could see the hotel and facing the other I could see the hostel! So, we sure don't have a far trek and so won't lose much time at all during the day to make the transition, which is really nice.

As I was trying to plan train schedules and whatnot for our upcoming stays in Italy, I received this message from one of the places we'll be going to...

"Hello,

We would like to advise you that the day of Your arrival, Friday 21 there will be probably a train strike (from 9 am until 5 pm). So will be maybe difficult for You to arrive at 4 pm. 

 We need to know something because  we don't live in Corniglia and we also have to take trains to check in You. 

Ciao have a nice day

Stefano and Libia"

Urgh. Way to throw a wrench in the plan train people! I guess we'll have to figure out what to about this. I hope it's as easy as arriving after 5pm but who knows.

Anyway, Jeff's watching television and so I'm going to join him as it's nearly 10pm. Last night it was fencing and the night before was bowling... Thank goodness I've got a book to read as I "watch".

Have a good rest of the day!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment