Friday, October 7, 2011

Cesky Krumlov ("ch"esky crumblove)

Sorry yesterday's post was a date late but it's up now :)

Today has been quite a day as well!

We took our time this morning getting ready because we didn't have to check out until 10:30am and didn't want to get on the train too early so we didn't arrive too early. We cleaned up our 'apartment' and then headed off to the train station for the 11:15am train to Cesky Budejovice, which we had to get to before transfering to another train that would take us to Cesky Krumluv. It was a pretty boring ride. Six of us were in a compartment made for eight, two guys took up two spaces with their stuff, I think they didn't want anyone else to sit in (it would have been quite crowded). We had seven minutes between getting off one train and getting onto the next one but since we arrived a little earlier than expected we had lots of time and found it easily (it's a little nervewracking knowing you have to transfer trains in a station you've never seen, in a language you don't understand and with only minutes to do so!).

We made it to Cesky Krumlov and even though we had really detailed directions, we still got lost. The only thing that threw us was whether we were to take a foot path along the road that we didn't know where it went or follow the road... We followed the road but the foot path is what we should have done. It wasn't fun. We probably spent 20 minutes lost, in the rain, and with our heavy bags... Unpleasant. We eventually found our way and were thoroughly relieved when we got to our place and into our room. The walk to our place was really encouraging though as this is an old medieval town and absolutely adorable! I'm excited to explore tomorrow!

Our room is SO MUCH FUN with so much character! We're staying in an artist's home who paints some pretty provocative pictures and that are hung everywhere. It sure adds some flare to the room. It's called the Budda room too. It has a fireplace, although we're not sure how to get it working and it also has a hot plate, fridge, and cooking ware! It's a great room, probably my favourite so far.

After we let ourselves in as the owner wasn't home and explained where we could get the key and whatnot, we settled in, gathered all our laundry and made our way to the laundromat that was on the map provided to us. We got lost finding that too... But once again, we did eventually find it. Laundry is not cheap, about $10 for a load and that really is irritating but we were so desperate that Jeff went without underwear and I went without pants!! It took hours for it to get done and since I was wearing a skirt and sandals with a sweater and scarf, I was freezing by the time it was done (after 7pm). I put my pants on right out of the dryer as well as socks but my teeth still chattered the whole way back to our place. Two days ago we were in shorts and t-shirts because we were so hot! I didn't have a pair of pants to wear because I had sweat through my clean pair the other day and my other ones were already dirty.

It was a pretty miserable walk to the Chinese restaurant next to the 80 stairs at the bottom of our place (yeah, 80 - we are always surrounded by a significant number of stairs!) but we warmed a bit before picking up food and the booting it home. We inhaled it after Jeff had a hot shower and now we're drinking tea and listening to 570 News Radio while I blog. They just announced that the keg has been tapped in Kitchener for Oktoberfest and I SO want to be wearing my drindl!! Next year, I guess!

Hope everyone has a fabulous Thanksgiving weekend. As always, I'm thankful for my family and friends who are all very near and dear to my heart no matter where I am or where they are in the world... Whether an hour away or across the world.

With love and chilly toes,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment