Friday, October 14, 2011

Innsbruck = Awesomebruck!

We got up this morning, ate some (nearly) stale bread with a load of nutella on it (people eat a lot of nutella here) and that saved it, somewhat. Then we checked out of our hostel and headed to the train station. We had reserved seats for this ride, which was a change, so we knew once we sat down we wouldn't have to change seats during the ride (if the seat owners showed up, which has happened before).

The train ride was long, nearly five hours but the last hour or so made it worth it as we arrived to the alps!! Wow, they sure were something to look at from the train and got us more excited to arrive to Innsbruck.

We were not disappointed when we got out of the train station and a peak of the Nordkette surprised us! Absolutely stunning. It took our breath away... Jeff thinks it's awesome.

We arrived to our hotel and happily checked in. Our room is substantially bigger than the last place and there aren't any holes in the sheets or the duvet cover (yay). The only weird thing about the room is that the toilet is in one little room and the bathtub/shower and sink are in another one beside it; I haven't seen that before.

Jeff and I were super hungry by the time we lugged our stuff up to our room so we went to find cheap and easy food... Pizza and fries not far from the hotel. We took a little walk and found a mini-Billa store and picked up breakfast ingredients for the next couple of days as we have a mini fridge in our room.

Once we got back we found flipflops and bathrobes in a closet, so we wandered down to the pool area. We were the only ones there which was nice :) We went for a dip, sat in the sauna and then had a shower that played bird noises while the water ran (it felt like rain) and thunderstorms when the mist was on (so much fun and actually relaxing). We then lay on a couple of chairs and relaxed while we dried off.

Afterward, I did some wash in the sink (I will never complain about doing laundry at home again! I think I have said this before) and then dressed to go find something for dinner. We weren't interested in sitting down and Jeff wasn't sure he wanted to risk something 'funky' so, if you can believe it, we got McDonalds (hangs head in shame). We were not having more pizza or kebabs or pasta. No more, I say! And the only thing vastly different than those things was McDs.

We then found a proper supermarket, with better prices, and picked up some snacks and headed home to eat dinner and chill out.

We're excited to be here and are glad we came here instead of Budapest, even though I've heard good things about Budapest! The mountains are gorgeous and are a refreshing change of scenery. We're going to hike on the Nordkette tomorrow! It should be quite the experience. I have to remember to wear everything I've brought with me as it most likely will be very cold (if I remember correctly from climbing the volcano in Ecaudor, Cotopaxi... I was freezing!)

Although I am not trying to rush this part of our trip, as I am excited about the next few days, I am acutely aware that Italy is just around the corner and I'm very excited for that as well!

Anyway, time to rest up for our big day tomorrow!

Hope everyone has a great weekend,
Much love,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment