Friday, May 25, 2007

Weekend Adventure

Hello everyone!!

I can't believe I'm updating my blog so soon again!! It was only 2 days ago that I got to share a small peak into my African adventure.

Well, I'm back and I'm going to try and cram as much as I can in but we'll see, when it comes to actually sitting down to the computer, my mind kind of goes blank - there's just too much to think of!!

Well, if I didn't mention last time, I have a local name that I go by, instead of "blefono" (meaning white person), or Madam (for the teachers). It's "Dede" (deh-deh), meaning first-born female. The house has taken to it and I scold anyone who calls me by blefono because I am more than my skin colour. hehe To say "my name is, Dede" in Dangme you say, "a tse mi kee, Dede" (sounds like: "ah cheh me keh, Deh-deh"). My knowledge of the language is really coming along - I'm trying my best, that's for sure, and although it's not easy - and it is NOT easy, I'm having a good laugh anyway.

I'm in Sega today - the place where I started from - I left at 6:30am this morning or so and took a bus from Kpong to a place called the Ada junction - where I got a taxi to Sega. Cost about 5 bucks in total and took an hour and a half or so. I'm spending the day in Sega and going to a funeral tomorrow (a big deal here in Ghana - some coffins are made to look like different things that were characteristic of the deceased - eg. beer bottles, cows, fish, cell phones - they can be really neat!! - I'll be sure to get a few pictures of some of the really different ones!). After the funeral tomorrow, the group of us are heading to a place called Ada Foah. It's supposed to be beautiful, along the ocean... with beach huts. I'm looking forward to it, especially if it's hot tomorrow (always is, who am I kidding), because we'll be able to go swimming!! It has to be in the ocean or the fresh water bugs will get into our skin, and no one really wants to deal with that.... yuck. We'll be there until Sunday night probably and then I'll head back to Kpong on Monday.

I think I got a little sunburned today, first time since I've been here. Some local kids from Sega, Kevin, and I went for a walk this morning to a river to check it out. It was quite the walk! When we got there, the kids wanted to cross it in a sketchy looking canoe... something Kevin and I contemplated for quite some time before deciding to just go for it! A small kid came across the river and got each of us separately (fearing, we'd flip the boat into the parasite infested water) and we made it across successfully! We met a local family who live in mud homes, with thatched roofs. They were pleased to see us. They brought all of us coconuts - cut them up, and we drank coconut juice right from the shell! Then we ate 2 or 3 of them... we were a little worried how that'll go through our bodies in a bit... I guess we'll see!! The kids took us for a walk, and we came across a peanut tree, more coconuts, weird looking grasshoppers, and some eerie looking oxen (I don't think they were happy to see us). We managed to cross the river safely, no one falling in, or getting wet!! It was a great experience, something you'd pay a lot of $$ for I'm sure. A personal tour! I could go home satisfied with my African trip after this morning!

OH! This morning started adventurous in itself anyway! There was a truck that had flipped onto its side in the middle of the road in Kpong, and a police car had come down my tiny little road to get some wire stuff (to use to pull the truck), so we caught a ride with them to the bus station... Only white person in a police car, next to a guy with a scary looking gun... eek. Must have looked odd as we drived away - people wondering why the 'blefono' was in the car!! My host dad was with me, pops, so it was fine, just a little creepy sitting next to a guy with a gun. I was glad to get out of the car fast to get my bus early this morning.

Life is good - lots of different things happening around me, and there are plans to do some traveling around on the weekends with Godwin (our coordinator) so that we see what we want while we're here. He's going to be planning some of those trips soon. I'm happy to know that we'll get some travel in with a well-educated guide ;) An added benefit! It should be good :)

It's hot in the internet cafe, even though there is a fan going. I think I'm going to get something cold after this... that'd be nice... mmm fanyogo (frozen yogurt in a bag). OH! We drink our water out of small bags!! You bite the corner, spit away the edge and then drink! (Don't worry mom and dad, that $ that went for my braces, and head gear and all that stuff isn't being wrecked, I use scissors where I can!).

Anyway - thinking of you all, thank you for all the thoughts and prayers, and best wishes!!

Update again soon :)

Dede xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment