Wednesday, May 2, 2007

5 Days until Departure

Ok, so what I've learned is that day by day, my anxiety increases (I'm just kidding), although I AM getting a little more nervous and excited (same physiological response is it not?) as May 7th approaches.

Mom and I hit up Costco yesterday to ensure I have everything that I need in bulk, (everything from underwear to band-aids) - I'll be fine. It's a little tough, I admit, because I'm not working with much information, slim to nil actually. I don't know my host-family members, what they're home is like, or if there will be access to any amenities... I guess that's all part of the adventure this time around. Prior to Ecuador, I had a LOT of information, not so much this time.

I received an email this morning saying that the coordinator in Ghana, Godwin, will meet the 6 of us in the airport with an "Intercordia" homemade sign, that'll be neat. We'll spend our first night in Ghana with him, and the next day will be taken to our placements - not much time to adjust, that's for sure! I wonder how much English there will be. English is the official language of Ghana, as it was once a British colony, it only has been an independent country for the last 50 years (this year is the 50th anniversary of independence, although Independence Day is over, I hope I get to see some more celebrations!). But the more rural you get, I have a feeling the English decreases and the native languages emerge, there are quite a few. Dangme is the one I will most likely come across, I better get practicing!

5 days to go - 5 days to figure out the rest of my packing and to embark on my adventure!

yaa ba or (bye-bye)

No comments:

Post a Comment