Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Over a Month In!

Hello Everyone!

Nye nge saminya lo? (Are you all well?)

I'm sorry it has taken so long to update my blog. I've been getting harassing emails from people to update them on the happenings in Ghana, so here I am.

I re-read some of my journal entries trying to come up with some things to write about here but I soon realized that there is just too much (it must be why I'm nearly done filling up two journals!). I may have to buy another one while I'm here, I've been writing like crazy!

So, I thought I'd just share some of the things I have come across while I've been here,what I've seen lately at least.

First, and foremost, there are naked children everywhere... something I haven't exactly seen at home. The body truly is an instrument here, and is used as such. If you have to pee, you easily can find a bush and go, no questions, no looks, nothing. Men let loose right on the street, facing away from everyone thankfully. I was on a bus coming back from Sega a week or so ago and a couple of women jumped off the bus, ran behind it, hiked up their skirts and relieved themselves, in full few! What a difference from home! It's rather refreshing I'll admit because here the body is really used for all that it can be. I've never seen so many people carry so many things on their heads. The other day, a woman set her basket down in our courtyard for my host-mum to see...she had a hundred live crabs, or more! People carry anything and everything on their heads, I can't believe it, I tried carrying water and it was brutal! Mind you, I've had 21 years of NO practice, so they've got that over me.

Funny story - I was sitting in my room, in my chair, watching the happenings of the house when Pops brought a sheet of cloth for me to hangup at my door for some privacy. Low and behold, the one book I was trying to forget over the summer appeared before my face for the next 2 moths, a Harry Potter bed sheet. I couldn't stop laughing. That wasn't the only 'home' reminder since I have been here though. If you can believe it, a man came walking into our courtyard to visit someone, and he was wearing a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey!! I ran after him to take a picture, the poor man, I probably scared him half to death as he didn't really seem to understand me.

I've been working on my dangme, it's a tough language let me tell you, but I'm trying and people are impressed. They are often shocked when they hear me speak their native language. One of the problems though, is that there are many native languages here, so many people try and speak to me in theirs, and I just don't understand them. I even started a dangme book in order to help me remember the language and to help me learn it. It's coming along, I'm sure it will be fun to look at when I get home to share it with everyone!

Last week I had my first meeting with the HIV/AIDS group I've been trying to develop. I had so many students interested in participating that I had to choose 4 students from each of 5 classes, so 20 students. I tried to explain the reasoning for the program, some of my goals and hopes as well. It's tough because I don't know how much they all understand. Although, the teachers have chosen students from their classes that are excellent students, so I'm sure they understand more than I give them credit for. The problem I've run into though is that students seem really shy and fearful of being wrong. I wouldn't doubt them, when they use a cane in the school.

Teachers cane their students for not getting an answer right after a lesson, for misbehaving, or for no good reason at all. It's very hard to watch, and I often close the door to the teacher's office so that I don't have to watch it. The teachers know how I feel about it as we have had discussions but it's hard because my role here isn't to impose my values, beliefs and culture on these people. I'm here to participate, to learn, and to observe. I've said my piece and it's still so hard. The government has said that caning is no longer acceptable in schools, but the private schools still use this method of punishing. If a government official were t o come to the school, they would have to throw away their sticks. It's been tough.

Just to wrap up as I'm running out of time (today's internet has been slow), I've been buying material to use to make clothes - it's so cheap, and the patterns and colours are beautiful. I've had one dress made so far, it was bought for me from my host family - it will be very pretty in the fall.

I also washed my clothes by hand for the fist time yesterday, and rubbed some skin right off my fingers. They hurt today! It's going to take some practice to get it down, but I'll get it! I've got some great video of me washing.

I hope everyone is well, I'm thinking of everyone, and although I haven't had a chance to respond to everyone, I'm thinking of you. The internet is so slow today, I've been here for 2 hours and I'm ready to head out soon. Today was the first day I've come here by myself, I've got to figure out how to get home now ;) I'll be fine!

Kimi, Dave, Lisa, Mom, Dad, all other family members and friends, I love you and miss you and will see you all shortly! For those who are keeping up to date with my adventures, thank you for reading, I appreciate your support!

Much love,

Dede

No comments:

Post a Comment